Wednesday 9 March 2016

Wednesday Quiz: Pineapple Panic

It is traditional at this juncture, it being a Wednesday (at least in some parts of the world), to produce a quiz. I had no idea what to do for a quix this week, so I asked Mrs. Owl what would be a good topic for a quiz, and she said 'Pineapples'. I was not convinced, but the challenge had been laid down, and I do like a good challenge.

1) From which continent does the Pineapple originate?
2) If television is to be believed, who 'lives in a pineapple under the sea' (absorbent and yellow and porous is he)?
3) There is an Australian idiom 'to get the rough end of the pineapple'. What's it mean?



4) This is the Big Pineapple, once a major tourist attraction in which Australian state? 



5) Not to be confused with the other Big Pineapple, which is in which other country in the southern hemisphere?
6) The Scientific name for the pineapple iAnanas comosus, referring to the Tupi name for the fruit, ananas. But wait a second, who were the Tupi, again, and where did they hang out?
7) Pineapple is an example of a multiple or collective fruit, in which a group of multiple fruiting flowers coalesce into a single mass. Can you name another fruit of this type?
8) Pineapple Head was a single from the 1993 Album Together Alone, by some band or other. Which band was it, again?
9) Once upon a time, the US was famous for pineapple production, but these days the five big producers are Costa Rica, India, Thailand, Brazil and which South East Asian republic?
10) Pineapples are a rare terrestrial example of the Bromeliad family, the majority of which are epiphytes. What's an epipyhte?

The rules are the same as ever, take your best shot at answering the questions without referring to outside resources, don't be ashamed if you don't know the answers, and leave your decisions in the comments some time this week so that I can have fun marking it some time next week.

5 comments:

The M Cats said...

Because I have to:

1) South America
2) Spongebob Squarepants
3) To get the short end of the stick
4) QLD
5) Brazil
6) They were natives to Peru
7) Dragon fruit
8) thems that sang that there song, 'cars'
9) Phillipines
10) pine cone

10/10 assuming I never come back here again

Irac said...

Since I am sitting at the shack with spare time on my hands I am not reluctant to display my lack of knowledge. I only wonder how one wise owl is so clever and knowledgeable.. a freak of naturale I think...
1. South America?
2)would that be sponge Bob?
3) it's not fair!

4)qld

5) no idea.
6. Tupi. .. if I was feeling creative I would make something up..to keep the rabbits out???
7) might bananas fit the picture here?
8) Pineapple Head_ I'm afraid that 1999 is lost in all time for me. I had little babies at the time and my memory is pretty well wiped by the fog of constant sleeplessness. Certainly music would not have been as high on the list of things to remember as where I had put my keys and how to find my bed in the middle of the night.
9) can't think of a country in south east Asia. One day I must learn some geography. ..
10) don't epithets live on trees? Like those horrible staghorn ferns that you have to feed leftovers to??
Sorry, but I figure at least I am responding, even if my efforts are dismal.
Good to see a blog on leaflet after what seems like a long break. Xx

Michael5000 said...

1. Seems like it might be an Asian sort of thing. Also, big continent is best bet when clueless.
2. Is that, like, Spongebob Squarepants, or perhaps Squarebob Spongepants, but I think the former.
3. I would think it meant to get the short end of the stick, except perhaps moreso: the worse of a bargain or encounter.
4. Oh, well, Queensland
5. South Africa
6. The Tupi are an indiginous people of Papua New Guinea.
7. I sure can't!
8. I don't know!
9. Vietnam!
10. I think an epiphyte is a plant that lives up in the trees, like the Swiss Family Robinson, but taking some of its nourishment from the tree surface and environs and probably doing a little parasitism on the side.

Alethea said...

1) I'm going with Asia
2) Spongebob Squarepants
3) All ends of the pineapple are rough, so maybe it's something about futility? (Never heard this one!)
4) Queensland
5) Southern Hemisphere... let's go South Africa
6) No idea.
7) A bromeliad?
8) *shrug*
9) Indonesia?
10) Wait what you used Bromeliad in the question here now my answer to 7 looks silly. Umm something about fleshy leaves?

John said...

Ooh, ooh, belated entry!

1) South America
2) Spongebob Squarepants
3) I've never actually heard that before!
4) Queensland
5) I will say, uh, Brazil.
6) I have no idea! I'll say modern Mexico.
7) Durian?
8) Crowded House
9) Indonesia?
10) A plant that grows on other plants rather than rooting itself in the soil.