Friday 15 August 2014

The Sea! The Sea!

Inspired by our Blagustine efforts, and some small amount of badgering, my mother has started a blog of her own. After reading just a couple of paragraphs, I was pleasantly surprised quite how much my writing style has so obviously been influenced by my folks. Reading some of her stuff feels a little bit like I'm back at home having a conversation over a cup of tea and a lot like I'm the cross-gender clone product of some illicit experiment. At least this way I'll be able to find out what she gets up to on her holidays!
I felt drawn to write a psalm after reading Xenophon's March this week. It feels strange and incongruous, given that Xenophon didn't share my faith, but the image of the sea as relief just seemed appropriate to me with some of what I've been going through lately. After I'd finished it I tried to compose a non-monotheistic, more Greek-feeling version, but I didn't like the result, so you get this. Make of it what you will.

Out of the wilderness you have led me,
despite the schemes of all my enemies,
through bitter cold and raging river.
Though many have fallen, you have sustained me,
And brought me at last to your safe country.
What could I do but raise an altar,
give praise to your name,
and fall prostrate before you?
My wonder shall not be surpassed.
My jubilant voice shall not fall silent.
Thalatta! Thalatta!
My Lord has delivered me.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to transition from this sort of stuff into being ready to throw down for Raptember in a couple of weeks.

No comments: