Thursday 4 November 2010

Distractions...

I know I should be focusing or reading Limits and Renewals and thoroughly getting my Kipple on, but I slipped last night in a fit of bad judgement brought on by my perpetual insomnia and picked up one of my favourite books, Pretty Girl in Crimson Rose (8). This was a bad idea, because it means that my head is now constantly swimming with cryptic crosswords clues and terrible wordplay, so you can probably expect either a tidal wave of punnage or the production of a cryptic or two in the coming couple of weeks.


Those of you were unfortunate enough to know me during my brief stint at university will remember that my on-again-off-again obsession with cryptic crosswords was the defining feature of my life at the time, and combined with my fondness for card games caused my premature and unceremonious departure from academia after just one year. We can only hope, for the sake of my employment and the sanity of anyone in a 100m radius, that this phase is not as disruptive or enduring as it was last time around.

The main point here, though, is that you should totally read it. If you're an Adelaidean, I have a copy I can lend you, just drop me a line sometime. If you're not, do yourself a favour and get a copy of Sandy Balfour's clever, quirky and someway eccentric little book, it's fun times.

Just don't get too involved.

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Please may I borrow it, Thom?

UnwiseOwl said...

You may...do you want me to give it to you next weekend or wait until the academic year is over?

Alethea said...

I can't work out the answer :/

Sylvia said...

Next weekend is fine. The 2 tricky exams will be done by then.

Michael5000 said...

I'm a fairly competent solver of American-style crosswords, but have never been able to make headway on British-style cryptics. As in, I have never solved a single clue, despite knowing the principles. Despite having, when living in England, bought children's puzzle books. And I can't figure out the clue that's the title to this damned book. Crap.

UnwiseOwl said...

Fwahaha...
If I get around to publishing any crosswords here I'll have to publish a solvers guide too, I guess.
That's fine, it makes me feel like I'm clever, despite regularly struggling to finish my NYT on Tuesdays...